Wednesday 22 July 2015

Cash is King


Many factors influence a customer’s decision to buy. For example, price, service, convenience and location. These and other less obvious factors, also influence the customer experience through his interaction with the business and use of the product or service. If sellers can identify the key factors that influence customer experience they may well find the means to convert new or one off buyers to repeat purchasers.

To illustrate the point an account of my personal experience is given below. Recently I decided to complete a long overdue paint job. The subject area was painted over 10 years ago. The paint was a non standard mix. Of course, I could not remember the name of the mixture.

The paint used belonged to a popular local brand. The sales representative at the particular dealer shop was quite helpful and after comparing a paint swatch with several color cards he identified the closest match. I purchased a gallon of the paint. However, when applied the color was off.

I stopped and returned to the dealer. Buying paint to find the right color could be costly and wasteful. So I thought maybe I could get samples of paint, apply them and see which matches the color. Even if I had to pay a few dollars for the samples … no problem. To my disappointment, there were no samples. The smallest size on sale was a quart.

Next, I called the head office for expert assistance. I inquired about a technical way to match a color in a photograph to a paint color sold. I texted a photograph containing the color. Unfortunately, only a manual mode existed for matching paint colors. The color suggested was similar to that recommended by the sales representative.

Well as they say there’s an app for that. I searched the App Store and downloaded an app for a popular brand of paint. I uploaded a picture of the color into the app and the app matched the color of the photo to a paint color sold by the company. It even suggested complementary colors one of which I had used in the past. I went to the local color shop, presented the color code and purchased the paint. It was more expensive but it was the exact match.

What an experience! I don't have to remember the name of the paint I used many years ago, now or in the future. So guess which is my favorite paint shop? They solved my problem.

Both manufacturers sell paint, however, one better understands the needs of their customers. This manufacturer provides tools for the customer to match, select and purchase paint that matches a desired color. The manufacturer made what appeared to be a difficult task easy. The entire process was within my control, the app was easy to use, it took minutes and I found what I wanted. With the other manufacturer it took days and not match was found.

App making is not advocated to enhance customer experiences. However, asking a few simple questions will drive you to creative solutions. What challenges are customers likely to face in making purchase decisions? How can you make it easier for customers to make purchase decisions? If you address these questions appropriately, you will enhance customer experience and create long term patronage.


No comments:

Post a Comment